South London Mine
|So London Mine - 1930's.
|Date scanned: 2001-03-07.
|Related photographs: NMHFM-205, NMHFM-224, NMHFM-225.
|Unmounted; text on verso.
|Held in the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum.
|Donor: Charles Burgess.
|Photograph of the South London Mine skip, which was used to transport ore and equipment. The South London Mine in the Alma district near Alma, Colorado was opened in 1892. Both the South London and North London mines were owned by the London Mining Company. The North London had been in operation since 1874, but after 1892 the South London Mine became the chief producer. During the late 1890s a tunnel was bored to connect the two mines. Between 1895 and 1931 the London Mining Company's gross profits were over $9,000,000. The South London Mine was operated until World War II, when all of the Colorado gold mines were shut down. The Mine's machinery was sold and it closed in 1944.
|Sponsored by the Colorado State Library, the regional library systems of Colorado, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
|Colorado School of Mines. Arthur Lakes Library
|Rights management statement available at: http://library.mines.edu/digital/rights.html
|Gold mines and mining
|South London Mine
|Colorado Digitization Project
|National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum