Pacific Borax Company store
|Date scanned: 2001-03-13.
|Related photographs: NMHFM-166, NMHFM-167, NMHFM-168, NMHFM-169, NMHFM-213.
|Held in the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum.
|Donor: Joe Kern.
|Photograph showing the Pacific Borax Company mercantile store and other buildings in Columbus, Nevada. Francis M. Smith and his brother Julian established the first successful borax mining operation in Nevada at Teel's Marsh in about 1872 and are credited with starting Nevada's borax rush. The Pacific Borax Company was one of the companies with borax interests in Nevada and California at the time. William T. Coleman, a California businessman, acquired an interest in the Company, which was in financial trouble by the late 1870s. Smith purchased the Pacific Borax Company in 1880 and built a refinery at Fish Lake, Nevada, becoming one of the foremost players in Nevada marsh borax production. When Coleman was forced to liquidate his assets, Smith acquired Colman's borax refinery in West Alameda, California as well as his interests in the Meridian Borax and Harmony Borax companies. Smith consolidated the companies to create the Pacific Coast Borax Company in 1890.
|Sponsored by the Colorado State Library, the regional library systems of Colorado, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
|Colorado School of Mines. Arthur Lakes Library
|Rights management statement available at: http://library.mines.edu/digital/rights.html
|Pacific Coast Borax Company
|Borate mines and mining
|Pacific Borax Company store
|Colorado Digitization Project
|National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum