• Athens Mine cage

      Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      The Athens Mine was an underground iron mine in the Marquette Range, Michigan. Development on the Athens Mine started in 1913 and the Mine was worked into the 1950s, eventually reaching a depth of some 2,400 feet. The Mine was operated by the Athens Iron Mining Company for the Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company. Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company was formed by the merger of two major iron mining companies on Michigan's Marquette Range in 1891. The Company had a number of mines operating in the Upper Peninsula by the outbreak of World War I. By the 1940s the high grade iron ores mined underground were becoming depleted. The Company developed a process to concentrate low grade ores into iron ore pellets in the 1950s, and C.C.I.C.'s last underground iron mine closed in 1979.
    • Durango Uranium-Vanadium Processing Plant, distant view

      Colorado Digitization Project; National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum; Vanadium Corporation of America
      Stereopair slide showing the buildings of the Durango Uranium-Vanadium Processing Plant in the distance. This plant was originally a lead-zinc smelter, and in 1942 the United States Vanadium Company converted it into a mill where vanadium concentrate was extracted from carnotite ore. It closed in 1946 and was later purchased by the Vanadium Corporation of America. During the 1950s, it was one of the largest uranium-vanadium plants in the U.S. and processed carnotite and roscoelite ores from several mines in the Colorado Plateau area. The uranium and vanadium were extracted at the plant by salt roasting crushed ore and then leaching and precipitating the uranium concentrate (yellow cake) and vanadium concentrate (red cake).
    • James Mine, safety hook on door

      Petersen, Max S.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      The James Mine is an underground iron mine in Mineral Hills, Michigan, a company town of the Mineral Hills Mining Company. The Mine is located in the Menominee Range. The James Mine was operated starting in about 1906 and was the first area mine to be operated outside of the Iron River Valley. Pickands, Mather and Company, a later operator of the James Mine, was established in 1883 as an iron mining and shipping firm with interests in the Lake Superior region. It was one of the large mining companies that consolidated smaller properties in the Michigan iron ranges in the early 1900s. The Company became one of the largest iron ore companies in the US.
    • Morrison Mine, explosives magazine in open cut

      Petersen, Max S.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      An explosives magazine is shown on a railed car at the Morrison pit. The Morrison Mine is an open pit iron mine in the Mesabi Range, Itasca County, Minnesota. The Mine shipped ore starting in 1929 and produced into the 1950s. It later operated as part of the Walker Group of mines. The Oliver Iron Mining Company was organized in 1892 and acquired a number of mineral properties in Minnesota and in the Upper Peninsula. By 1901 the Company was a division of United States Steel Corporation.
    • Hollinger Mine, wooden guides used to test safety catches

      Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      Wooden guides used in a test of safety catches are shown at the Hollinger Mine. In 1945 a cable supporting a cage at the nearby Paymaster Mine broke, dropping the cage over 1,500 feet and killing 16 miners. The series of images on safety equipment at the Hollinger Mine was taken following that accident. The Hollinger Mine is an underground gold mine in the Cochrane district, Ontario. The deposit was discovered in 1909 during the gold rush of Porcupine Camp and the Mine was operating by the early 1910s. The town of Timmins was established and named for the developer of the Hollinger Mine. The Mine was operated until 1968, then abandoned. Area properties including the Hollinger were acquired by Kinross Gold Corporation in 1999, which worked to mitigate significant subsidence through 2004 under the Abandoned Mines Rehabilitation Program.
    • Spruce Mine, open cut

      Petersen, Max S.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      A view of the Spruce Mine open cut with three haulage trucks is shown. The Spruce Mine (Adams-Spruce Mine) iron deposits were discovered on the future site of Evelith, Minnesota in the Virginia-Evelith district. The Adams Mining Company was formed to exploit them in 1892. The Adams-Spruce mines were worked as both underground and open pit mines. The Spruce Mine was later operated by the Oliver Iron Mining Company. The Oliver Iron Mining Company was organized in 1892 to mine deposits in the Mesabi Range near Virginia, Minnesota. The Company acquired mineral properties elsewhere in Minnesota and in the Upper Peninsula. By 1901 the Company was a division of United States Steel Corporation.
    • Explosives magazine, frame construction, E. I. duPont deNemours & Co.

      Pearce, Clyde M.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      An explosives magazine of frame construction is shown. A truck labeled "DuPont Explosives" is backed up to one of two loading docks on the side of the building.
    • Copper: Colorado, Eagle County, Gilman, Eagle Mine

      The mineral specimen comes from the Eagle Mine, located near Gilman in the Gilman mining district, Eagle County, Colorado. Rich silver-lead carbonate ores were discovered in the Gilman area around 1879. By the early 1880s a number of the area's mines were producing silver and gold. District production of these metals declined by the 1890s and lead and zinc became the district's primary products by the early 1900s. In 1912 the New Jersey Zinc Company consolidated some of the mines on Battle Mountain into the Eagle Mine, which became Colorado's major zinc producer. The Mine also became known for its attractive mineral specimens. The Eagle was operated by New Jersey Zinc until 1983 when it was purchased by the Battle Mountain Corporation. The Mine was closed in 1984 and subsequently flooded. Because of mine seepage, groundwater contamination and pollution from tailings the area of the Eagle Mine and the town of Gilman was declared a Superfund site in 1986.
    • Gas drilling rig near Evanston

      Arthur Lakes Library; Colorado Digitization Project; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive
      Photograph of Chase Drilling rig no.8 and the workers on the rig.
    • Climax mill classifiers

      Colorado Digitization Project; National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum
      This is probably equipment for the Climax No. 2 Mill, which started operations in the 1930s. The Climax Mine worked one of the largest molybdenum deposits in the world and extracted some 470 million tons of ore. Claims were staked on Bartlett Mountain, Colorado in 1879 for what was later (in 1895) identified as molybdenum ore. As a market for molybdenum developed, a syndicate formed in 1917 to open the Climax Mine. The Mine, operated by the Climax Molybdenum Company, shipped its first ore in 1918. Climax had its own ore processing facilities and a company town. The Climax Glory Hole was growing by 1936, the result of surface subsidence from the massive scale of underground block cave mining that eventually removed much of Bartlett Mountain. In 1958 the Climax Molybdenum Company became a division of American Metal Climax, Inc. The town of Climax was phased out in the early 1960s as workers moved to nearby mountain communities. Much of an adjacent stream valley was acquired by 1970 to replace existing tailings containment facilities and was progressively buried by Climax tailings. American Metal Climax, Inc. (AMAX) began developing an open pit on the site in 1972. AMAX merged with Cyprus Minerals Company in 1993 to become Cyprus-Amax Minerals Company and by 1994 the Climax Mine employed only a few workers for facilities maintenance and environmental work.
    • CSM Rifle Oil Shale Plant, conveyors and retort (?)

      Arthur Lakes Library; Colorado Digitization Project; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive
      Retort (?) and conveyors at Anvil Points Oil Shale Research Center plant. The Anvil Points Oil Shale Research Center plant, near Rifle, Colorado, was built by the U.S. Bureau of Mines in 1947 and operated as an experimental and demonstration facility until 1956. The Department of the Interior leased the plant to the Colorado School of Mines Research Foundation in 1964. The CSM Research Foundation contracted with several oil companies to direct a research program there on the economic extraction of oil from shale.
    • Hiawatha #2 Mine, scraper drift

      Petersen, Max S.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      The image shows a drill, ladder, and partial view of a miner in a scraper drift at the Hiawatha #2 Mine. The Hiawatha mines were located in the Menominee Range in Iron County, Michigan. The Dober, Duff and Isabella mines were operated as part of the Riverton Group of mines starting in 1882. In 1935 the mines were consolidated to form the Hiawatha #2 Mine and operated by the M. A. Hanna Company. The M. A. Hanna Company was one of the large mining companies that moved into the Michigan iron area in the early 1900s, consolidated smaller properties, and engaged in exploration for other economic deposits.
    • Geneva-Davis Mine, ventilating plant and air-heating unit

      Petersen, Max S.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      The Geneva-Davis Mine (Geneva Mine) was an underground iron mine in the Gogebic district near Bessemer, Michigan. The Mine opened in 1887. It was operated by the Oliver Iron Mining Company before its closure in 1966. The Oliver Iron Mining Company was organized in 1892, and acquired many mineral properties in the northern iron ranges. By 1901 the Company was a division of United States Steel Corporation.
    • Hill-Annex Mine, taconite island after blasting

      Stott, Roy G.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      A closer view from the north of the taconite island in the Hill-Annex pit after blasting is shown. The Hill-Annex Mine was an open pit iron mine in the Mesabi Range, Minnesota. The Mine started shipping ore in 1914 under Inter-State Iron Company and operated until 1978, producing some 63 million tons of ore. After the Hill-Annex was closed the pit flooded, and the site became a state park in 1988.
    • Copper Range Mill, hood over conveyor belt

      Petersen, Max S.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      This is probably the Copper Range Mine (White Pine mine) and mill near White Pine, Ontonogan County Michigan. The Mine was operated by the Copper Range Company until its closure in 1995. A plan to continue operations by solution mining was rejected because of environmental concerns. The Mine was refitted to grow biopharmaceuticals in 2000.
    • Colorado School of Mines Experimental Mine, mine locomotive

      Arthur Lakes Library; Colorado Digitization Project; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; Colorado School of Mines
      Photograph of the entrance to the CSM Experimental Mine (Edgar Mine) showing eight CSM faculty, students and visitors, grouped around a Mine-o-motive. The Mine-o-motive is a mine locomotive used to move ore cars in the Edgar. The Edgar Mine in Idaho Springs, Clear Creek County, Colorado produced high grade silver and gold, lead and copper in the 1870s. The Big Five Mining Company leased the property to the Colorado School of Mines for educational purposes in 1921. The School eventually acquired the Mine and additional workings to develop the Colorado School of Mines Experimental Mine as an underground classroom for engineering education and as a research facility. The Edgar's workings include the Miami Tunnel, the Edgar Shaft following the old Edgar vein, and the Big Five Tunnel.
    • H-beam forepoles, Negaunee Mine

      Stott, Roy G.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      The Negaunee Mine was an underground iron mine near Negaunee, Michigan in the Marquette Range. The Mine opened in 1887 and was later operated by the Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company. The Mine produced until 1949, when it was classified as exhausted. Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company was formed with the merger of two major iron mining companies on Michigan in 1891. The Company had a number of mines operating in the Upper Peninsula by the outbreak of World War I. By the 1940s the high grade iron ores mined underground were becoming depleted. The Company developed a process to concentrate low grade ores into iron ore pellets in the 1950s, and C.C.I.C.'s last underground iron mine closed in 1979.
    • Pyrite (stage-III) on siderite with ankerite, sphalerite (var. marmatite): Colorado, Eagle County, Gilman, Eagle Mine

      The mineral specimen comes from the Eagle Mine, located near Gilman in the Gilman mining district, Eagle County, Colorado. Rich silver-lead carbonate ores were discovered in the Gilman area around 1879. By the early 1880s a number of the area's mines were producing silver and gold. District production of these metals declined by the 1890s and lead and zinc became the district's primary products by the early 1900s. In 1912 the New Jersey Zinc Company consolidated some of the mines on Battle Mountain into the Eagle Mine, which became Colorado's major zinc producer. The Mine also became known for its attractive mineral specimens. The Eagle was operated by New Jersey Zinc until 1983 when it was purchased by the Battle Mountain Corporation. The Mine was closed in 1984 and subsequently flooded. Because of mine seepage, groundwater contamination and pollution from tailings the area of the Eagle Mine and the town of Gilman was declared a Superfund site in 1986.
    • James Mine, transfer car

      Petersen, Max S.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      Two men watch a transfer car move on rails from the shaft to the loading pocket at the James Mine. The James Mine is an underground iron mine in Mineral Hills, Michigan, a company town of the Mineral Hills Mining Company. The Mine is located in the Menominee Range. The James Mine was operated starting in about 1906 and was the first area mine to be operated outside of the Iron River Valley. Pickands, Mather and Company, a later operator of the James Mine, was established in 1883 as an iron mining and shipping firm with interests in the Lake Superior region. It was one of the large mining companies that consolidated smaller properties in the Michigan iron ranges in the early 1900s. The Company became one of the largest iron ore companies in the US.
    • Susquehanna Mine, explosives magazine

      Johnson, John A.; Arthur Lakes Library; Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive; United States. Bureau of Mines
      The Susquehanna Mine is an open pit iron mine in the Mesabi Range, St. Louis County, Minnesota. The Mine began as underground workings, shipping ore in the early 1900s, and expanded into open pit operations. The Mine was operated by the Republic Steel Corporation from the 1930s into the 1950s.